Asparagus and Brie tart
- 375 g (13 oz) short crust pastry
- 450 g (1 lb) fine asparagus, trimmed and branched
- 2 medium eggs, plus i medium egg yolk
- 225 ml (8 fl oz) double cream
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 150 g (5 oz) Brie, cubed
You will need a fluted rectangular tart tin measuring 33 cm (13 in) x 10cm (4 in) x 2.5 cm (1 in)
- Preheat the oven to 190C, 170C fan oven, 375 F, gas 5.
- Line the tart tin with the pastry, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake for further 5 minutes.
- Arrange the asparagus over the base of the pastry, snip the spears to the right length so they lie widthways across the tin and use the snipped ends to fill the base.
- Beat together the eggs, yolk, cream and chives and season well.
- Pour over the asparagus and scatter over the Brie, pushing some of the cheese under the asparagus.
- Bake for 20 minutes until set and lightly golden.
- Allow to stand and set for 20 minutes before serving with a crisp green salad.