- 400 g squid, cut in small cubes
- 400 g fine noodles
- 4 large shell-on shrimp
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tomatoes, grated
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- lemon wedges to garnish
To make the fish stock
- 600 g ( fish head, skin, bones, etc.)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion in quarters
- 5 fresh black pepper corn
- 1 celery stick
- 1 1/2 of cold water
- To prepare the stock, put the fish head, skin and bones in a large saucepan add the onion, bay leaves, pepper and salt, cover with water and simmer gently in the covered pan for 30 minutes. Strain the liquid and reserve.
To make the garlic mayonnaise (alioli)
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves cut in a half and remove their hearts
- juice of half lemon
- light olive oil
- Put the egg into a blender or food processor bowl. Blend or process for about 15 seconds. Leave the machine running and very slowly add the olive oil, a drop time at first, then slightly faster.
- Continue to process until the mayonnaise is thick and creamy.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic cloves, seasoning and process for 1 minute longer.
To make the noodles
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 400 ˚F, 200 ˚C.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a paella pan or a skillet grill pan and fry the 3 crushed garlic cloves until slightly brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the squid, cut in small cubes and fry for 4 minutes, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place 1 more tbsp of olive oil to the pan and toast the noodles for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until they have turned uniform tasty brown.
- Add the grated tomatoes to the pan, continue fry for more 5 minutes. Combine 1/4 litre of the stock, return the squid and garlic to the pan, seasoning and transfer the dish to the oven, adding the additional liquid slowly as needed, stirring occasionally until the noodles turn to a crusty top, for about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the shrimp until they change to a light pink colour, seasoning and decorate with the whole shrimp.
- Once the noodles are crusty top, let them rest for 5 minutes before serving, garnish with lemon wedges and garlic mayonnaise.