This popular family dish is simple to make and taste wonderful.
Escondidinho de Frango ( Brazilian Shepherd’s pie with chicken)
Ingredients for the mashed potatoes
- 800 g of skinless cooked potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 150 ml milk
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- In a bowl, mash the potatoes with butter, add the milk, parmesan cheese and a bit of salt, mix well.
Ingredients for the (Escondidinho)
- 1 kg of chicken breast, cooked and shredded into bite sized pieces
- 5 tomatoes cut in small cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 2 tbsp of green olive stoned and chopped
- 3 tbsp canned sweet corn without the juice
- 1 tablet chicken stock
- 200 g thin slices of smoked ham
- 200 g thin slices of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of spring onions, chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Preheat the oven to gas 7 – 15 mins before cooking the Brazilian shepherd’s pie.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan, add the garlic clove and chilli, cook for 1-2 minutes, add the tomatoes and cook for further 4 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken breast, olives, sweet corn, chicken stock, spring onions, season to taste, mix well and cook in a low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into a ovenproof dish, smooth and creamy, place layer of smoked ham and cheese, then spread mashed potatoes evenly over it.
- Brush the beaten egg yolk carefully over the potato.
- Cook in oven until top is browned.
- Serve with mix salad or cooked vegetables.