Ingredients for the pastry
- 225 g plain flour
- 100 g light margarine
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 4 tbsp cold water
- Sieve the flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the margarine into small cubes and add to the bowl.
- Using your fingertips, lightly rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to a firm but pliable dough with 4 tbsp of cold water.
- Turn out of a bowl and knead lightly on a floured surface until the pastry is smooth and free of any cracks. Wrap in greaseproof paper and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to Gas 6, 400 ˚F, 200 ˚C, 15 minutes before baking the pastry
- Roll the chilled pastry out in a lightly floured surface and, using the rolling-pin to help you lift it, line an ovenproof dish already lightly greased. Roll the pin across the top to remove any excess pastry. Place a sheet of tin foil over the pastry, then cover with baking beans and bake blind in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans from the pastry case and continue to cook for further 5 minutes. Remove from oven, then reduce the oven temperature to Gas 4, 350 ˚F, 180 ˚C.
Ingredients for the filling
- 500g frozen spinach
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 200 g bacon cut in small cubes
- 25g light margarine
- 200 ml single cream
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 50 g Gruyère cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Place the spinach in a glass baking dish, cover with transparent film and make few holes in the plastic for vents, and heat for 5 minutes in the microwave. Remove, strain all the liquids and reserve.
- Heat the margarine in a large saucepan, cook the onions gently until soft, add the bacon and cook for more 3 minutes, add the spinach, cayenne pepper and season to taste then arrange in cooked pastry case.
- Beat together eggs, cream, add parsley and season well, then pour over the spinach.
- Finely grate the cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Return the tart to the oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling has set and pastry is a golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with mixed salad.