This also traditional dish is very similar to the famous paella, one of the differences is that it can be made with different types of sausage never with seafood and it’s baked in the oven.
It’s not to difficult to make, and the rice is so tasted and full of flavour……It makes a perfect meal for the whole family.
Oven-Baked Rice – Arroz al Horno
- 200 g pancetta, diced
- 2 blood sausage (optional) or black pudding sausage ( morcilla)
- 500 g pork ribs, cut in small cubes
- 400 g lean pork, cut in small cubes
- 2 Spanish chorizo, cut in a half (optional) – any other sausage can be used
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3-4 ripest tomatoes
- 200 g butter beans ( or potatoes, diced)
- 200 g runner beans
- 300 g Spanish short grain rice (or medium grain rice)
- 1 level tsp saffron
- 1 tsp sweet red paprika
- 900 ml water or stock
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- lemon edges
Preheat the oven the oven Gas 7, 425 ˚F, 220˚C, 15 minutes before cooking.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in, large frying pan and fry the pancetta until browned and transfer the meat to a paella pan or large ceramic dish or other large flat dish or casserole that can be used on stove top and in the oven.
- Add the pork ribs, fry until browned and transfer to a paella pan.
- Add 1 tbsp fo olive oil to the frying pan and fry the lean pork until browned and transfer to a paella pan.
- Add the reminded oil and fry the Spanish chorizo for 2 minutes, transfer to the paella pan, add the morcilla (blood sausage) and fry for more 2 minutes and set aside.
- Cut the tomatoes in a half across the width ( not stem to bottom). Great the meat side of the tomato using a coarse vegetable greater over a bowl, great close to the skin as possible ( do not great skin). Discard the tomato skin.
- Heat the paella pan, add the tomato pulp to the meat and fry for 2 minutes, add the chopped onions and garlic and fry for more few minutes.
- Add the rice, saffron and sweet paprika and cook for further 3 minutes.
- Pour the water or stock, add the butter beans, season to taste and carefully transfer the pan to the oven and cook uncovered for about 50 minutes or until the liquid is completely drain out.
- About 30 minutes before the cook is done, add the runner bean to the pan.
- Just before serving, add the blood sausage to the pan and serve the rice with lemon edges.