makes 12 jars depending on the size
- 750 g green tomatoes, cored and cut into small cubes
- 4 large onions, diced
- 4 large green papayas, peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes
- 1 k sugar
- 700 ml apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp whole cloves, when the chutney is ready you must take out all the cloves
- 3-4 red chillies finely chopped
- Place the green tomatoes, onions, and papayas in a large heavy pot. Add sugar, vinegar, salt and spices. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer uncovered until the mixture is thick, about 2 hours. Add the chilli at the end, mix well.
- Cool to a room temperature, 24 hours, the chutney will thicker slightly at is chill. If you prefer a less liquid chutney, drain a bit off.