Delicious rich sauce – Carbonade Boeuf
- 450g braising steak, sliced or cut in small cubes
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml light ale
- 100 ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
Preheat oven Gas 4, 180 ˚C, 350˚F 15 minutes before cooking.
- Melt 1 tbsp of the butter in a frying pan, and cook the onions for 3 minutes, add the garlic and cook for further 2 minutes or until soft and transparent and place them to a oven-proof casserole.
- Add more 1 tbsp to the pan and fry the beef until the meat is browned completely and place on top of onions.
- Place another tbsp of butter to the pan, add the flour, mix together till make a roux, graduate stir the beer into the mixture then the beef stock, bring to the boil and continue cook until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste and cook for further few minutes.
- Pour over the meat and onion and mix well together.
- Cover with a lid and cook in oven for 2 hours or until the meat is tender, stir the carbonnade occasionally during cooking.
- Discard bay leaves, check seasoning and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with mashed or baked potatoes.Bon appétit¡¡¡¡