- 4 chicken breast, boned and skinned
- 1 large green and 1 large red pepper, cored and seeded
- 1 large onion
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 150 ml strong chicken stock
- 300 ml double cream
- grated zest of half a lemon
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 75 g parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 160 C/ 300F/ Gas 2
- Thinly slice peppers and onion. Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying-pan and cook the peppers for 5 minutes, until softened. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Remove from the pan.
- Add remaining olive oil to the pan and heat. Cut chicken into 205 cm/1 in pieces and add to pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until browned. Gradually stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add the herbs and stock. Bring to the boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Arrange a layer of peppers and onions in the bottom of a large ovenproof dish.Top with the chicken and peppers.
- Stir the cream, lemon zest, egg yolks, salt, pepper and nutmeg together in a bowl and pour over the meat. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake in the oven for 35 mins. Remove from the heat and serve with mix salad, rice or mashed potatoes.