Steak and mushroom pie by "katyarichkitchen"
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 900 g braising steak, cut in small cubes
- 3 lamb’s kidney, cut in small dice
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500 ml dark ale
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 200 g mushrooms, quarters
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- cayenne pepper
- 375 g puff pastry
- salt and whole ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk, to glaze the pastry
Preheat the oven to 160 C, 315 F, gas
You will need a 107 litre pie dish and a large oven proof casserole.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan. Toss the meat in the flour , season to taste and brown a few pieces at a time, then transfer to a casserole. Continue until all the meat is browned.
- Add onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 7 minutes until soft and lightly coloured, then add to the casserole.
- Add the ale, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, sugar and season well. Place a lid on top and cook in the oven for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
- Add the mushrooms, stir and pour into the pie dish, let to cool.
- Grease the rim of the pie dish. Roll out the pastry on lightly floured surface. Cut a 2.5 cm strip of pastry and press on the top rim of the pie dish. Brush the rim with water. Roll the remaining pastry to make a lid and place on top of the pie, pressing down the edges. Trim and knock up by using a flat-bladed knife and horizontally tapping the edge. Decorate the pie with pastry leaves. Mix the egg yolk with a little water and brush over the pastry.
- Place in the oven, 200 C, 400 F, gas 6 and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry risen and golden brown.
p.s. if you are not using funnel, make small cuts with a scissor on the top of the pastry.
Spinach tart by katyarichkitchen.com
Ingredients for the pastry
- 225 g plain flour
- 100 g light margarine
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar
- 4 tbsp cold water
- Sieve the flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Cut the margarine into small cubes and add to the bowl.
- Using your fingertips, lightly rub the margarine into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to a firm but pliable dough with 4 tbsp of cold water.
- Turn out of a bowl and knead lightly on a floured surface until the pastry is smooth and free of any cracks. Wrap in greaseproof paper and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to Gas 6, 400 ˚F, 200 ˚C, 15 minutes before baking the pastry
- Roll the chilled pastry out in a lightly floured surface and, using the rolling-pin to help you lift it, line an ovenproof dish already lightly greased. Roll the pin across the top to remove any excess pastry. Place a sheet of tin foil over the pastry, then cover with baking beans and bake blind in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove paper and beans from the pastry case and continue to cook for further 5 minutes. Remove from oven, then reduce the oven temperature to Gas 4, 350 ˚F, 180 ˚C.
Ingredients for the filling
- 500g frozen spinach
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 200 g bacon cut in small cubes
- 25g light margarine
- 200 ml single cream
- 3 eggs
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 50 g Gruyère cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Place the spinach in a glass baking dish, cover with transparent film and make few holes in the plastic for vents, and heat for 5 minutes in the microwave. Remove, strain all the liquids and reserve.
- Heat the margarine in a large saucepan, cook the onions gently until soft, add the bacon and cook for more 3 minutes, add the spinach, cayenne pepper and season to taste then arrange in cooked pastry case.
- Beat together eggs, cream, add parsley and season well, then pour over the spinach.
- Finely grate the cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- Return the tart to the oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling has set and pastry is a golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold with mixed salad.
Spinach tart by katyarichkitchen.com
Asparagus and Brie tart
- 375 g (13 oz) short crust pastry
- 450 g (1 lb) fine asparagus, trimmed and branched
- 2 medium eggs, plus i medium egg yolk
- 225 ml (8 fl oz) double cream
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 150 g (5 oz) Brie, cubed
You will need a fluted rectangular tart tin measuring 33 cm (13 in) x 10cm (4 in) x 2.5 cm (1 in)
- Preheat the oven to 190C, 170C fan oven, 375 F, gas 5.
- Line the tart tin with the pastry, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the greaseproof paper and baking beans and bake for further 5 minutes.
- Arrange the asparagus over the base of the pastry, snip the spears to the right length so they lie widthways across the tin and use the snipped ends to fill the base.
- Beat together the eggs, yolk, cream and chives and season well.
- Pour over the asparagus and scatter over the Brie, pushing some of the cheese under the asparagus.
- Bake for 20 minutes until set and lightly golden.
- Allow to stand and set for 20 minutes before serving with a crisp green salad.
Minha deliciosa massa para torta salgada ou doce
Receita da massa
- 225 g de farinha de trigo
- 50g de manteiga ou margarina sem sal
- 50g de banha vegetal
- uma pitada de sal e outra de açúcar
- 4 colheres de água fria
Modo de preparo
- Em uma vasilha grande, peneirar a farinha junto com o sal e o açúcar,
- Cortar a margarina e a banha em cubos e pouco a pouco ir esfarelando com a farinha, ou seja , uma parte de margarina nos dedos e ir misturando junto com a farinha até ter toda a margarina e a banha misturadas.
- Acrescentar 4 colheres de água e amassar até ficar lisa e homogênea, envolver no filme transparente e deixar na geladeira por meia hora.
- Passado o tempo de repouso, amassar em uma mesa de cerâmica ou vidro, nunca em madeira……..e não fazer em dia muito quente senão a massa fica mais difícil de trabalhar, experência própria em minha última viajem ao Brasil.
Esta e uma massa básica para uma forma de torta redonda de 23cm, untar com margarina
Pré aqueça o forno a 200 C
- Coloque a massa na forma dando forma com o rolo e ajuda da mão com cuidado para que nao quebre.
- Fure com o garfo varias vezes na base.
- Cubra com papel alumínio e no centro da forma.
- coloque feijoes….isso é um truque para que a massa não suba ficando plana. Eu sempre guado estes feijões num potinho de vidro, assim utilizo várias vezes.
- Assar por 10 mins, retire o feijão o papel alumínio e deixe assar por mais 5 ou 10 min.
Utilizar o recheio de sua preferência ou minhas receitas para torta salgada.