- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 k chicken breast, cubed in bite sized pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 100 ml double cream
- 2 large carrots in cubes
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 300 ml white sauce
- 1 and 1/2 tablet of chicken stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 200 g shoestring potato
To make the white sauce
- 1 heaped tbsp margarine
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Melt the margarine in a small sauce pan. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, then gradually mix the milk into the roux, beating well between each addition.
- Return pan to the heat and cook, stirring throughout, until the sauce is tick, smooth and glossy, add the parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and freshly grated nutmeg.
To make the chicken fricassée
- Melt the margarine in a casserole, add the chicken and brown on all sides about 5 minutes. Stir in salt a pepper, remove from the heat and reserve.
- In the same casserole, heat the olive oil and cook the chopped onion for 2 minutes, add the crushed garlic and chilli and cook for more 2 minutes, add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add parsley and chicken stock tablets, stir well, add white sauce and double cream, season to taste and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Serve with white rice and shoestring potato.